From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: future.eclass
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 21:38:36
1 On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 22:32:17 +0100
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 12:40:33 -0800
4 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On 11/06/2014 12:11 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > # multilib.eclass collisions
7 > > > get_libdir() { future_get_libdir "${@}"; }
8 > > > # eutils.eclass collisions
9 > > > einstalldocs() { future_einstalldocs "${@}"; }
10 > >
11 > > This collision handling mechanism seems pretty reasonable.
12 > > Alternatively, maybe it could die if the functions are already
13 > > defined, and advise the developer that future should be inherited
14 > > later than multilib and eutils.
15 >
16 > I'm not aware of any current definition of order in eclass
17 > inheritance. We sure have issues with inheriting eclasses in a
18 > different order giving different results now. Is this something
19 > that's in the works for a future EAPI, then?
20
21 An EAPI solution to this is hard to work out. It would be much easier if
22 people just stopped writing "clever" eclasses and didn't mix utility
23 functions and phase functions within a single eclass.
26 Ciaran McCreesh