From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Issues with man - .so directive doesn't like .gzed man pages
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:11:31
1 Some man pages, for instance zshall, do not work as they should since
2 we .gz our man files.
3
4 The .so directive in a man file is afaik the mechanism by which one man
5 page can include the contents of another. The processing of the .so
6 directive fails when the file to be included is gzipped.
7
8 For an example of this, merge zsh-4 and do man zshall ; you will notice
9 that large parts of the document is blank (I'm using most as my pager).
10
11 It might be that there is a compile-time option to man so that it handles
12 this, I wouldn't know. It might also be that the problem is so tricky to
13 fix that the easiest workaround is to add extra workaround code into the
14 ebuilds for packages that use .so in their man pages.
15
16 If nobody better qualified comes along within week's end, I'll have a
17 thorough look at the problem.
20 Kind regards,
21
22 Karl T