From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage feature addition
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:23:11
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Just make you aware, not everyone follows portage development and its
3 > bound to bite some people in the ass (although I expect the users will
4 > notice the most).
5 >
6 > Recently commited to svn (but afaik released only in ~arch) is code to
7 > prevent the sourcing of ebuilds with no manifest. Thus ebuilds you
8 > randomly download off of bugzilla need to get a lookover from you and
9 > then ebuild foo.ebuild digest'd.
10 >
11 > This is to prevent people from sticking a random unchecksum'd ebuild in
12 > your tree and then having portage source it for depend() metadata and
13 > then getting bitten by some global scope nasties.
14 >
15 > This 'feature' is currently controlled via strict, so those that hate
16 > hate hate it can turn it off via FEATURES="-strict"
17 >
18 > It's implemented in doebuild, so any ops that aren't
19 > 'digest/manifest/help' aren't allowed on manifest-less ebuilds. This
20 > includes the 'ebuild' utility.
21 >
22 > Having FEATURES="digest" should also disable this check.
23 >
24 > I figured people would start asking about the failures, so better to
25 > explain now ;)
26 The error is obvious and contains the solution or will we have a influx
27 of bugs?
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list