From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] /usr/libexec vs /usr/lib(32|64)/misc
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:27:40
Hi all,
little question (that could start up a flame): what's the official status
of /usr/libexec directory?

I was told on IRC time ago to prefer /usr/$(get_libdir)/misc to libexec
because that's already ABI-specified... but I'm not really sure.
/usr/libexec is already used by many upstream packages, starting from FreeBSD
itself, and while it's true that /usr/$(get_libdir)/misc is ABI safe, I don't
really like thinking of moving executables in a subdirectory of lib for ABI's
sake.. or we'll end up having /usr/$(get_libdir)/binaries instead
of /usr/bin ...

So, as the documentation about that seems not to be clear, what's its status?

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE