From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [News item review] Portage rsync tree verification (v2)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:56:28
1 Hi,
2
3 On 25 January 2018 at 14:35, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > Starting with sys-apps/portage-2.3.22, Portage enables cryptographic
6 > verification of the Gentoo rsync repository distributed over rsync
7 > by default. This aims to prevent malicious third parties from altering
8 > the contents of the ebuild repository received by our users.
9
10 <snip>
11
12 I did not looked into the detailed implementation, however, please
13 make sure integrity check handles the same cases we have applied to
14 emerge-webrsync in the past, including:
15 1. Fast forward only in time, this is required to avoid hacker to
16 redirect into older portage to install vulnerabilities that were
17 approved at that time.
18 2. Content integrity, especially removal, as far as I understand, the
19 mechanism will not enable to detect authorized removal of content.
20
21 Regards,
22 Alon