From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo x86 AT <x86@g.o>, release@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo i486 support
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 19:27:54
1 On 22/08/18 20:20, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 5:26 AM Ben Kohler <bkohler@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 2) Patch catalyst to start setting CXXFLAGS again. Rather than roll
4 >> back to exactly CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" again, it's been suggested that we
5 >> start setting COMMON_FLAGS, and CFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
6 >> CXXFLAGS=${COMMON_FLAGS}" etc. I prepared such a patch a while back
7 >> [4], which seems to work but may need a bit of updating.
8 > [snip]
9 >> [2]
10 >> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/catalyst.git/commit/?id=b409bd9bb4b50f69a555e4e148057ade86a7ed16
11 > I don't think that was intentional, was it?
12 >
13 > That commit looks like it's supposed to just be a plain refactor (It's
14 > titled "stagebase.py: Refactor the *FLAGS handling code in
15 > chroot_setup()" after all) so it shouldn't have changed behavior. I'm
16 > guessing the commit is just broken. It doesn't even look like the
17 > commit message was finished when it was pushed.
18 >
19 > I think you should do whatever is required to fix catalyst brokenness.
20 >
21 Discussions on IRC in -releng demonstrate that this change resulted in
22 the CXXFLAGS variable *disappearing* from the stage3 make.conf. I
23 consider this a regressoin. I haven't personally looked as to how this
24 happened (although I'm familiar with the code from ARM profile changes),
25 but I think that also needs fixing. All my workstations descend from the
26 time when both CFLAGS *and* CXXFLAGS were set in make.conf and I hadn't
27 noticed this until today; however, this is a secondary issue to the one
28 that Ben has highlighted, which is a rather unhelpful fall-back
29 situation for x86 users ..
30
31 MJE