From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PMS] new dep list (useful just for cross stuff)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:51:47
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:24:00 +0200
3 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 >> PMS overlords what's your take?
5 >
6 > You need to start by identifying use cases. Are you discussing handling
7 > cross compiling,
8
9 Yes
10 multilib,
11
12 Ok
13 C++ / python ABIs
14
15 Aaaaaargh, ehm, should we really throw them in the mix? anyway let me
16 see if the same rules apply:
17
18 - they have to reside in a separate path if possible?
19
20 - the linker must not pick wrong ones in place of the ones you want to use.
21
22 - an application using a former abi must link depend on stuff from the
23 same place but MAY use stuff from another place.
24
25 - is up to the loader pick the right paths on execution
26
27 - the dep resolver should ignore packages built using the other
28 C++/Python abi.
29
30 The issue is more complex and I just ignored it basically because the
31 library abi mismatch is an error that should be rectified and not
32 something you want and no it isn't because I don't care about binary
33 only stuff right now, it's just because looks like there is already too
34 much meat w/out something that fits just halfway on the constraints.
35
36 or all of them? Then you
37 > need to identify what packages would need to do to handle those things.
38
39 All.
40
41 > Don't even think about the package manager side until you've worked out
42 > what ebuilds would do.
43
44 autotooled programs more or less are already doing the right thing, non
45 autotools packages supporting cross development may require some
46 additional checks to pass the right target.
47
48 lu
53 Luca Barbato
54