From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 08:06:34
1 On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 19:46:32 -0400
2 Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I've kinda come to this conclusion myself. I could probably host an
5 > extracted, micro-initramfs on my NFS server that would be loaded by the
6 > kernel to jump to $REAL_ROOT. Not *too* much of an issue on the Octane,
7 > because I can store the kernel command line args in a PROM variable so that
8 > all I have to do is type "$foo" at the PROM prompt to load something. But,
9 > SGI did their best to be inconsistent, and IP27 systems cannot permanently
10 > save variables to NVRAM. Once you power cycle, all user-defined PROM vars
11 > are lost. And Linux's NFS Root command args are somewhat complicated from
12 > what I remember. Upshot is I boot the IP27 over serial console, so I can
13 > just save bootp() args in a text file on my desktop and paste it into the
14 > console for those instances.
15
16 Have you seen CONFIG_CMDLINE? It lets you bake command line args into
17 the kernel image itself.
20 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
21 Gentoo Linux Developer