From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new 'virtualization' project or herd
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 20:06:03
1 Hi everyone
2
3 What do you think of creating a new 'virtualization' project or herd/team?
4
5 My initial motivation for this idea was that while libvirt is being
6 maintained by 'xen', it is not xen-specific anymore but also supports kvm,
7 qemu, lxc and openvz.
8
9 It would also make sense for other parts like the network setup (which is
10 pretty equal for xen, kvm, qemu and virtualbox: tun/tap combined with a
11 bridge or with routing & masquerading).
12
13 The idea is to collect the following package-"families":
14 - xen
15 - kvm
16 - virtualbox
17 - vmware
18 - qemu
19 - libvirt
20
21 and eventually also the following:
22 - vserver
23 - openvz
24
25 From my perspective it'd make sense to create a project in which we can also
26 provide documentation (currently maintained by the docs project), a
27 roadmap, comparison charts, etc.
28
29 So, what do you think?
30
31 Cheers,
32 Tiziano
33
34 ps It has been suggested to post this on -dev since it's about herds and
35 therefore about maintaining ebuilds.
39 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list