From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] repoman adding "Package-Manager: portage-2.2.20.1" to every single commit
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 18:24:32
1 On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:09 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Signed-off-by has a completely different purpose which is not part of
3 > our workflow, so that tag is pretty useless to us most of the time.
4 >
5 > See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Talk:Gentoo_git_workflow#Sign-Off
8 I agree. Generally it is used to signify agreement to a developer
9 certificate of origin. I would recommend using it for any other
10 purpose, especially since there has been talk of instituting a DCO for
11 Gentoo (based on the Linux DCO). We're not at the point of doing that
12 just yet, but I wouldn't stick something entirely different in that
13 field so that if we do institute a DCO we end up doing it differently
14 than every other project that uses Git.
15
16 If we want to capture this it should go in its own header. If the
17 goal is to capture the repoman version, then I'd just capture the
18 repoman version, or some identifier for the set of rules repoman was
19 checking against at the moment (I'm not sure if repoman uses any kind
20 of data updated outside of portage releases).
23 Rich