From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] act-{user,group} & RDEPEND
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 15:10:32
Hi,

most packages are putting acct-{user,group}/* dependencies into RDEPEND.

What about packages using tmpfiles eclass and installing tmpfiles which
will make use of acct-{user,group}/* depedencies?

I.e. dev-db/mysql-init-scripts will install
"/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/mysql.conf" with the following content:

> d /var/run/mysqld 0755 mysql mysql -
The package is a requirement for all dev-db/{mysql,mariadb,percona-server} packages because it will provide runscript/services. To be able to start your chosen database server right after installation, we trigger tmpfiles service in pkg_postinst via tmpfiles_process(). Therefore, mysql user and group provided by acct-{user,group}/mysql must be merged *before* tmpfiles_process() will be called or "/var/run/mysqld" will be created as root:root which will prevent your favorite database server to start. However, devmanual (https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/) says:
> Items which are in RDEPEND but not DEPEND could in theory be merged > after the target package. Portage does not currently do this.
So don't we have a conceptual problem here and are just lucky that current used PMs don't do at the moment what specification will allow them to do? Moving to (B)DEPEND will address the problem for non-binary package users only. -- Regards, Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5