From: Jason Toffaletti <catalyst@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage + bittorrent anyone?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:06:04
1 This email includes my responses to multiple emails, so keep reading....
2
3 On Monday 16 February 2004 10:27 am, Fred Van Andel wrote:
4 > Bittorrent is not a good mechanism for sharing gentoo files for the
5 > following reasons:
6 >
7 > Bitorrent requires a separate instance and a separate open port for every
8 > file that you are sharing. When some people will be sharing hundreds of
9 > files this is simply not a workable approach.
10
11 This is the work that needs to be done I mentioned. Rather than creating a new
12 p2p system, we could slightly adapt bt to our needs. I think the changes
13 would probably make it back into the official bt too.
14
15 > Bittorent is optimized towards dealing with a small number of large files
16 > under very high (initial) demand situations. Our needs are different, we
17 > are dealing with large number of much smaller files under moderate demand
18 > and without the initial spike in demand.
19
20 I am theorizing here without any statistics to back this up, but I think we do
21 have an initial spike in demand when new source tarballs are released. I
22 think we'd need to study the traffic on gentoo mirrors, but my theory would
23 be that most traffic is from what is released in the past 2 or 3 days. We
24 also do have a few large files to deal with such as the ut2004-demo. I also
25 don't think bt would perform any worse with small files than big files.
26
27 > The reason that bittorrent works so well is that it forces everyone to
28 > share if they want to download, consequently there is a lot of upload
29 > bandwith available on the network. Any system that forces sharing would be
30 > able to work as well.
31
32 Many systems force people to share to download, but none work as well as
33 bittorrent because they don't use a good algorithm for transfering the file.
34 I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better way.
35
36 > In theory I am working on a P2P system specific to the needs of gentoo,
37 > however I must admit that I have not worked on it for a while. Will
38 > someone please kick me in the *ss to get me working on it again.
39
40 Again, why create something totally new and specific to gentoo when bittorrent
41 just needs a few modifications. We'd be contributing to OSS, the entire
42 BitTorrent community, and Gentoo.
43