From: "Francesco R." <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] keep a gen 2013 snapshot on mirrors
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:17:20
1 Il 13/11/2013 20:12, Rich Freeman ha scritto:
2 > On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Francesco R. <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> long story short
4 >> having a portage-20130126.tar.bz2 snapshot (before the EAPI 5 switch)
5 >> greatly simplified the upgrade of an old server on a client.
6 >>
7 >> Why not keep a copy on the servers? I mean
8 >> http://distfiles.gentoo.org/snapshots/
9 >>
10 > Going back in time with portage is the easy part - it is in CVS.
11 >
12 > The real problem is all the distfiles themselves, especially things
13 > like out-of-tree patch tarballs hosted by devs.
14 >
15 > Rich
16 Rich, that made me smile, none of my remote machine has cvs since a
17 _very_ long time say 2006.
18 We are speaking of box that have troubles to emerging anything new, plus
19 me and most of the internet barely remember cvs up :)
20
21 I do highly appreciate the suggestion to keep a @system distfiles
22 snapshot (once a year + portage snapshot would be a bone), but that it's
23 not strictly needed, just a 40MB bzipped files on a public directory and
24 maybe some change to the cron that wipe old files.
25
26 cheers,
27 Francesco R.