From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper installation path for efi binaries (.efi)
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 03:21:50
1 On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM, Martin Pluskal <martin@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I am thinking about creating ebuild for shim. I was wondering if there
3 > is any policy or suggestion where to place .efi binaries or how to
4 > handle them in gentoo - it seems that there is none so perhaps there
5 > should be agreed on what best practice is (install directly into
6 > /boot/efi or install else and let user manually copy .efi to /boot/efi
7 > or something completely different (eselect efi ...)).
8
9 I think that you will most certainly need to separate installation and
10 configuration (e.g., with a "shim-install" script or similar), because
11 configuration depends on the environment. For instance, with removable
12 media you will need to:
13 1. Drop shim.efi and MokManager.efi into [/boot/]EFI/BOOT.
14 2. Rename BOOTx64.EFI to grubx64.efi, and then rename shim.efi to BOOTx64.EFI.
15 (Copied from http://dee.su/liberte-install — this has been tested with
16 OVMF and real Secure Boot hardware.)
19 Maxim Kammerer
20 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte