From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Parsable list of all use variables.
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:22:20
1 Hi Bob
2
3 short update on a situation.
4
5 On Monday 13 May 2002 06:31, Bob Phan wrote:
6 > > This regex handles those cases:
7 > >
8 > > ^([a-z0-9]+)[ \t]+-.*
9 > The problem with that regex is it only strips out the use variables.
10 This regexp is used by lintool at present to extract a list of use vars out of
11 use.desc file. This in a sense enforses present format, however this is only
12 one tool of which I know that actually parses use.desc at this point.
13 (and BTW, as it works, lintool will just ignore all run-over description
14 lines, which is fine for the tool but is a bad idea if you want to get hold
15 on descriptions as well. Thus I think single line per usevar entry should be
16 enforced).
17
18 Also there were/are plans to assign values to usevars, for example:
19 arch = (ppc|sparc|x86)
20 gnome = 1.4
21
22 So far this was the only addition mentioned, so this will be possible to
23 accomodate in a single human-readable file by slightly changing the format.
24 Probably something of the form:
25 usevar = (list|of|values); description
26 can do.
27
28 However please understand that these are just that - plans, so old format
29 (usevar - description\n) is now in force and I expect will be for some time.
30 As far as policy goes, the word was that there isn't real one. Basically it
31 goes as far as it gets enforced by accepted tools, in this case lintool
32 (which only checks for "usevar -" part anyway). If your script gets accepted
33 it becames a new policy ;). However in order for it to be accepted it should
34 peacefully coexist with lintool, therefore it would be a good idea to consult
35 lintool code whenever you are uncertain about any USE-related formats).
36
37 George