From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ferringb@×××××.com, axs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Addressing GLEP-62 itself
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 06:04:31
1 On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:54:39 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 08:58:07PM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:47:33 -0400
6 > > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Based on the above I do expect the reference implementation would also
9 > > > need to change. I expect, for instance, that the PM's
10 > > > metadata-handling would need to occur as normal even though none of
11 > > > the package's phase functions would run, that is, *DEPEND
12 > > > (realistically RDEPEND as that should be the only one affected here,
13 > > > maybe PDEPEND too) and USE/PKGUSE would get updated. Since portage
14 > > > would not be re-emerging the package from the tree the original ebuild
15 > > > would remain.
16 > >
17 > > Yes, unless I'm missing something that's the intent. I will re-read
18 > > and update the GLEP a bit sometime this week.
19 >
20 > There's a fairly strong user interaction component here, along w/
21 > potential nastyness for ebuilds (the proposal assume that a flag will
22 > be toggable in all cases within an ebuild if IUSE_RUNTIME specified; I
23 > guarantee instances where that fails can be found in the tree if a
24 > basic audit was done). Additionally, this *is* useless if it's done
25 > in a form the UI an't display/handle; Ciaran may bitch about
26 > REQUIRED_USE's UI (which I knew going in was going to be
27 > problematic, just to be clear), but he's right on that front.
28 >
29 > Additionally, this needs to be thought out how it'll interact with
30 > eclasses; what stacking, etc. It doesn't cover the basics there to
31 > say the least.
32
33 The proposal didn't cover eclasses at all. Is there a need to do so or
34 are we chasing some kind of perfection based on filling all unused
35 slots?
36
37 > Pretty much, this needs an implementation, partial conversion of the
38 > tree to demonstrate it.
39 >
40 > Just to prove that fricking point; if you had tried implementing this,
41 > a full investigation of what's involved alone, you'd have spotted that
42 > the core of the proposal is based on a wrong assumption.
43 >
44 > Portage doesn't write unfinalized DEPEND/RDEPEND/PDEPEND to the VDB.
45
46 There's a footnote there, saying:
47
48 The package manager has to ensure that all relevant information is
49 stored in the installed package metadata.
50
51 > > > I expect, as a corollary to this, that a rebuild would be necessary if
52 > > > (on-disk-IUSE_RUNTIME xor in-ebuild-IUSE_RUNTIME) was non-empty
53 > > > (--newuse) or resulted in any flags that are in USE
54 > > > (--reinstall=changed-use). IMO this would be necessary to ensure the
55 > > > local ebuild copy and all related metadata for it gets updated in vdb.
56 > >
57 > > I think that's a common package manager logic and it's out of scope
58 > > of the GLEP.
59 >
60 > Portage doesn't do physical updates last I saw- if it did, well,
61 > that's fairly dangerous. Only thing stored in the VDB is the ebuild
62 > and the environment dump, and the environment dump is what's ran from.
63 >
64 > You cannot sanely pick part the dump and try to intermix current
65 > ebuilds; rephrasing, I'll kick in the head anyone who tries that.
66
67 What are you talking about? As far as I can see, we are talking here
68 about *full rebuild*.
71 Best regards,
72 Michał Górny