From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Distrowatch
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:47:57
1 On 14/03/07, Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o> wrote:
2 > "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>:
3 >
4 > > So please, friends, just ignore it, nothing positive will come of it.
5 >
6 > Unfortunately it made its way onto big news site and lowers the view
7 > on Gentoo even more. From many comments I read we are a dying distro.
8 >
9 > V-Li
13 Ha. This is like the "Is the Linux desktop dead" FUD I read a few
14 months ago - IIRC it got deservedly derisive comments from the people
15 on this list when I posted it here. FWIW, that was not written by the
16 same author, but it could have been. News commentary sites are like
17 the stock market - when something insignificant but bad happens the
18 stock goes way down (= doom is predicted), when something
19 insignificant but good happens the stock goes way up (= whatever
20 they're writing about is the cure for cancer, &c.) It's the same
21 prophets of doom who came out of the woodwork over the DuncTank affair
22 in Debian that, in the main, are posting this rubbish.
23
24 Gentoo will die sooner or later - everything does - but I for one am
25 not going to bury it just because it has "stubbed its toe".
26
27 Jeff
30 Q: What will happen in the Aftermath?
31
32 A: Impossible to tell, since we're still in the Beforemath.
33
34 http://latedeveloper.org.uk
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list