From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:51:29
Hi Grant,

On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 09:37 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> Dear all, > Here's a GLEP that I'm thinking about right now. It's not yet > official, since I'd like to get some feedback beforehand (which helps to > ensure that I'm not abusing my GLEP-editor powers). If you have > additional arguments either pro or con, please send them my way so that > I may incorporate them. > > Best, > g2boojum
For better or for worse, x86 is the "maintainer arch" for a large amount of our packages. With the new x86 arch team being the only team allowed to stabilise packages on the x86 arch, the concept of the "maintainer arch" will finally be removed from the tree. This leaves a problem - how can package maintainers and arch maintainers work together to ensure that arch teams only stabilise packages that the package maintainers consider appropriate? I can't claim credit for the following idea, but I can say that it's one we've been using in the PHP Overlay in recent weeks, and it has made my job easier as the PHP maintainer for the ppc arch. Introduce a new arch keyword "maint", to turn the concept of the "maintainer arch" from an intangible into something real. Package maintainers can then mark packages "~maint" or "maint" as required, and leave the real arch keywords for the arch teams to handle. This approach ensures that arch maintainers have the metadata they need to know which packages the package maintainers consider appropriate for stabilising, and which ones they don't. Any guesswork is removed. I'd like to see this proposal in the final GLEP. Best regards, Stu -- Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/ http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/ GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C --