From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Relicensing sys-freebsd/* under the BSD-2 license
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:48:51
1 >>>>> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Richard Yao wrote:
2
3 >> what do you mean by 'relicense' ? for ebuilds, you'll have to ask
4 >> permission to all contributors to this area, and, afaik, the
5 >> foundation owns copyrights so it has a word to say too.
6 >> if you mean the 'LICENSE' field of ebuilds, then this is not the
7 >> right place to ask.
8
9 > I am referring to the ebuilds themselves. Right now, all ebuilds in
10 > the tree are GPL-2 licensed. This makes contributing FreeBSD-specific
11 > improvements to FreeBSD Ports upstream difficult.
12
13 > I want sys-freebsd/virtio-kmod to be BSD-2 licensed, but I do not
14 > expect the version that enters the portage tree to be BSD-2 licensed
15 > unless people clarify that it is okay to license ebuilds under
16 > something other than the GPL-2.
17
18 I fail to understand what the license of the ebuild has to do with the
19 license of the package itself.
20
21 Ebuilds in the Portage tree must be licensed under the GPL. This is
22 part of the Gentoo Social Contract [1], so I guess it won't change
23 anytime soon.
24
25 And IMHO, we would be ill-advised to allow different licenses for
26 ebuilds in the tree, because that would imply that we cannot copy code
27 from one ebuild to another (or from ebuild to eclass) any more.
28
29 Ulrich
30
31 [1] <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml>