From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gentoo]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:32:17
1 -----Forwarded Message-----
2 From: William Hubbs <w.hubbs@×××××××.net>
3 To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
4 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gentoo
5 Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:38:54 -0600
6
7 On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:33:28AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
8 > On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 10:10, Stephen Clowater wrote:
9 > > The configurations that are detected would only be the defaults, any
10 > > user who wanted to change them, or bypass the entire install
11 > > alltogether, could still do so. Indeed, you could specify a boot option
12 > > like noinstaller and do the install the old way, or flip over to another
13 > > vc (the installer would presumably be on vc/1) and continue the install
14 > > by the guide instead of the installer.
15 > >
16 > > Its important to note the last thing that an installer would do would be
17 > > to impose itself on the user. Its purpose is to provide some level of
18 > > confort and prettyness for those who would like it, and to detect the
19 > > most optimal defaults for a system, however, not to take away from the
20 > > user the ability to change these defaults.
21 >
22 > I think a much better way of even thinking about this would be rather
23 > than running the installer at all, the user would type "install" or
24 > "setup" at a prompt to start it.
25
26 I very much second this. Please do not make the installer run automatically. Instead, display a message that tells the user how to run the installer if they wish to do so.
27
28 Thanks,
29
30 William