From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Flags
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:56:48
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:11:28 +0100
Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:

> (no tool support for either solution)
Well, actually i've put some bits of code in the bugreport I've mentioned above, so there is tool support for the use.local.desc solution (equery and emerge). That was more to demonstrate how easy it was to implement tho, and i agree it's not the only point of the discussion.
> use.local.desc for package-specific short descriptions (like at > the moment) and metadata.xml for longer detailed descriptions > if required
That sounds like a good idea. So, to summarize (just to check i've understood your proposal): - users should know when a flag is really a must-have for a given package, or is at the contrary not advised, things like that. That kind of quick hints, warnings, and other answers to obvious questions like "Is DVD support by mplayer better with the 'dvdread' flag?" only require short notes (one sentence) in general. But what is important is that they get written whenever there is something to say about a flag which is not already in use.desc (because package-specific), and that they are easily accessible for the user. Here, use.local.desc seems better, because there is no such thing as an "echo >>" to drop a quick note somewhere, and because it doesn't require complex code or access to multiple files to get optionaly displayed by emerge in pretend mode. - user might sometimes wonder what is the "libfoo" that the "foo" flag description ("add support for libfoo") talks about. That may require a long description (one paragraphe), which don't need to be in use.local.desc. Metadata.xml is fine here, since anyway that's the kind of things you write using a text editor. That raises on more question tho: if someone wants to write a long description for a global flag, where does he do it? -- TGL. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Flags Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>