From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr vs. initramfs redux
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:14:44
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 >
3 > The final solution in this thread:
4 > TL;DR version: If your /usr is NOT on /, you MUST use an initramfs.
5 >
6 > More detailed:
7 > 1. If you want /usr or /var on separate partitions (not LVM or anything
8 > elsewhere userspace action is required to make the block devices
9 > usable), then the minimal initramfs (or something more capable) MUST
10 > be used so that udev is happy.
11 > 2. If your /usr, /var, root etc block devices require userspace action
12 > (eg LVM, MD, crypto, firmware etc). You MUST use genkernel, dracut or
13 > some other initramfs of your own creation. The proposed minimal
14 > initramfs WILL NOT handle these situations.
18 The need of init* is just what I want to avoid. Seeing how this is
19 coming, I'm glad I didn't get /usr, /var set up on LVM just to find out
20 I got to put it back like it was before I put in all the effort to do it.
21
22 Pardon me for saying this, this is a crap sandwich. Whoever came up
23 with this should have to eat it. I hope all the people this messes up
24 has his/her email addy.
25
26 Dale
27