From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] giflib and libungif hell [solution: libungif is being removed]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:55:07
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 >On Wednesday 16 March 2005 10:41 am, Chris White wrote:
6 >>So, they pretty much install the same thing... Can I put a blocker on
7 >>this? Or does someone have a valid reason why I shouldn't...
11 >going by the description, it seems like libungif is pretty much pointless
12 >now ? libgd has added back in gif support now that the LZW patent has
13 >expired everywhere ...
14 >
15 >perhaps we can just clean out libungif and have everything use giflib now
16 >-mike
17 >--
18 >gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
23 That's what I'm going to do then.
24
25 libungif is now being removed from the true to honor the better giflib
26 with expired LWZ patent. On this friday, I will be doing the dep
27 adjustments in the tree. I will also be creating a bug to track issues
28 with giflib not working with certain programs. I highly doubt this
29 however, and anticipate a rather clean movement (knock on wood :|).
30 Rember: this Friday, you have been warned. Speak now or forever hold
31 your peace :P.
34 Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
36 Sound | Video | PPC
37 ChrisWhite @ irc.freenode.net