From: "leon j. breedt" <ljb@×××××××××.ORG>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GRUB/LILO/syslinux gfxboot
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:45:46
hi,

in addition to the bootsplash done by Sebastian Faubel, how
about Gentoo adds the SuSE gfxboot patches to its GRUB/LILO/syslinux?

this lets you display a graphical menu with an interface of your own
devising instead of the standard GRUB/LILO boot menu.

i'm not talking about the static image support, but full-on user
interface, with customizable keybindings. if you have the inclination,
you can code it up to do whatever behaviour you want it to.

a screenshot of my own customization for my machines:

http://neverborn.org/xsd-gfxboot-2.png

a screenshot of a tweaked version i did for my Debian installations:

http://neverborn.org/debian-gfx-grub.png

i can assist a real artist in tweaking the image and configuration
needed for this to work. maybe we could use Sebastian's image as a
starting point?

leon