From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: 'submerge' was Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Embedded
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:13:19
1 On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 22:02, Christian Gut wrote:
2 > On Mi, 2003-10-29 at 21:24, Vano D wrote:
3 > > But anyhow.. I am positive it can be made even smaller, by using less
4 > > binaries, cutting down on the baselayout or using a custom one
5 > > (slackware rc scripts come to mind) the reason for this is not that the
6 > > scripts take a lot of space, but they use some binaries and in my case
7 > > instead of I copy the binaries themselves I emerge the whole package the
8 > > binaries belong to. And course last but not least, using uglibc should
9 > > shrink the thing even more (but then incompatibility issues might arise
10 > > with some packages...)
11 >
12 > How did you build this thing, just a simple chroot env and unpacking the
13 > precompiled packages? Then kernel and adding it to the bootloader or
14 > how?
15
16 Just as you said it. But ofcourse the chroot is a clean empty dir. Also
17 you have to manually symlink the busybox and tinylogin (i.e. if you do
18 "ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/ls" when you run ls it runs "busybox ls". Busybox
19 is intelligent enough to know that it should run its ls implementation. So
20 you have to manually create all those symlinks) and also change inittab
21 to run getty instead of agetty (getty is a symlink to tinylogin).
22
23 Thats about it IIRC. Can't be easier.
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 Vano