From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: alan.mckinnon@×××××.com, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: formally allow qa to suspend commit rights
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:16:36
1 On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:00:14 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I don't want to appear rude, but when reading this entire mail all I
5 > see is someone who has probably never had to do it for real.
6
7 Can you avoid top posting? Had to scroll down to see who you reply to.
8
9 > People are not machines. Volunteers really do not like having their
10 > freely given time nullified and access removed because one person
11 > thought it was deserved.
12
13 We take a positive approach instead, access is "temporarily suspended".
14
15 > Do you realise the message that is sent by denying someone access? You
16 > are saying that person is not good enough to work on Gentoo. Do you
17 > really want to send that message?
18
19 That is an assumption and depends on the actual message you send to that
20 person; "temporarily suspending" someone goes with a reason. If that
21 reason is to talk with the person as to fixing up the breakage, where
22 afterwards the access gets restored; we're sending a different message.
23
24 > Vast wholescale breakage is very rare and not something you can base
25 > policy on.
26
27 Policy is there to prevent wholescale breakage; imagine Gentoo without
28 a policy present, that would be very rare. What do you then base on?
29
30 > Rich's most recent reply is the most sane proposal I've seen so far.
31 > Revoking access is a human problem and is solved with human solutions.
32
33 Which message? Why is it the most sane?
34
35 > Do beware the law of unintended side-effects.
36
37 Or unexpected benefits?
38
39 Yes, a law exists; but what are the benefits compared to the cost?
42 With kind regards,
43
44 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
45 Gentoo Developer
46
47 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
48 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
49 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D