From: Jules Octave <jbi.octave@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: No more stable keywords for Games
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 23:49:18
1 can't affect me as I am not into games ; but I have tried some on kde ,
2 they seems to work fine.
3
4 2017-11-19 20:17 GMT+00:00 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>:
5
6 > Hello friends!
7 >
8 > On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
9 > wrote:
10 > > 171119 James Le Cuirot wrote:
11 > >> On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 08:50:20 -0500
12 > >> Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
13 > >>> 171118 David Seifert wrote:
14 > >>>> As the Games team does not have enough manpower to keep tabs on all
15 > >>>> games packages, we have dropped all games-* ebuilds to unstable
16 > >>>> keywords (modulo those required by stable non-games packages).
17 > >>> Isn't this overkill in the absence of widespread bug reports for games
18 > ?
19 > >>> 'Stable' doesn't mean well-maintained,
20 > >>> but in the tree for some time & no serious bug reports.
21 > >> There are plenty of bug reports for games.
22 > >
23 > > What percentage of games pkgs have bugs ?
24 >
25 > I too would like some clarification on the standards being used.
26 >
27 > > Marking all games 'unstable' still seems to be overkill.
30 > To add to this, it is unlikely the situation will improve until it is
31 > made easier for people to contribute. If one is not aware there is a
32 > tendency for Gentoo-related issues to receive blog posts addressing
33 > them, or to be passed down via word of mouth on IRC, or to be hidden
34 > in a hard-to-find (and/or index) page of the Wiki.
35 >
36 > The most likely explanation for this state of affairs is that getting
37 > contributions accepted into the main tree is too hard.
38 >
39 > It is one thing to say that contributions to the main Portage tree
40 > require some standards to be upheld, but these standards do not seem
41 > to be applied consistently. For example, crossdev, genkernel, and the
42 > bootstrap-prefix and bootstrap-rap scripts are more or less
43 > unmaintainable disasters. Crossdev in particular oscillates between
44 > periods of relative stability and extreme brokenness, and the
45 > bootstrap scripts are poorly explained with no extant documentation
46 > and a workflow that does not clearly fit into Gentoo (or more properly
47 > Portage) development at large. Other ebuilds may simply install low
48 > quality software, or install software that is hard to manage with
49 > Portage.
50 >
51 > Respectfully,
52 > R0b0t1