From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:59:59
1 On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Ciaran McCreesh <
2 ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 08:49:16 +0100
5 > Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
6 > > http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pPAJXP6shYH78lCXeqRqCUQ
7 >
8 > Here're some more easy ones.
9 >
10 > First up, un-optionaling some optional things. No impact for developers:
11 >
12 > * PROPERTIES must be cached properly (it's optional in current EAPIs)
15 +1 from me
19 > * DEFINED_PHASES must be supported (ditto)
22 +1 from me
26 > Next, some probably easy but long standing features:
27 >
28 > * src_test run unless RESTRICTed or explicitly disabled by the user (bug
29 > 184812)
32 I'd love to but please look at the most recent comment I've made on the bug
36 > * have econf run ./configure with --disable-dependency-tracking and
37 > --enable-fast-install (bug 211529)
40 +1 from me. Did we ever test autoconf 2.13 based stuff?
44 > * Limit values in $USE to ones in $IUSE (bug 176467). The existing
45 > behaviour's majorly annoying; time for the package manager to start
46 > enforcing things strictly.
49 definitely +1 from me. I've been trying to put kernel_linux and such in my
50 ebuilds already to improve this.
54 > Some things we should probably sort out:
55 >
56 > * The list of extensions for unpack probably needs a couple of new
57 > things.
60 We also need a way for the actual program being used for the unpack to be
61 added to DEPEND.
65 > * Provide ebuilds a way to differentiate between updates and removals
66 > (bug 205557), since the way devmanual says to do it got broken by a
67 > non-EAPIed change. This one's slightly trickier than initially
68 > apparent, because a solution's needed for the weird cases. One
69 > example is if you have foo-1:1 and foo-2:2 installed, and you're
70 > installing foo-2:1. In this case, it's both a reinstall and an
71 > upgrade. One possibility is a REPLACING_VERSIONS variable that
72 > contains a list of all versions being replaced, along with a
73 > REPLACED_BY_VERSION variable for the pre/postrm part.
76 +1 from me
80 > Not sure if these can go in in time for Portage or not:
81 >
82 > * Utility commands, even the ones that aren't functions, should die. To
83 > get a non-die version, prefix the command with nonfatal (e.g.
84 > 'nonfatal dodoc README', which just returns non-zero on failure
85 > rather than splatting).
88 +1 from me
92 > * Calling unpack on an unrecognised extension should be fatal, unless
93 > --if-compressed is specified. The default src_unpack needs to use
94 > this.
97 +1 from me
101 > * pkg_info should work on things that aren't installed, as well as
102 > things that are.
105 We'd need to properly educate people about this because I'm pretty sure a
106 bunch of pkg_info()'s require the actual package to be installed currently.
110 > --
111 > Ciaran McCreesh
112 >