From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] drivers and kernel addons
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 05:59:14
1 On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 13:57, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > Something we really need at the moment is a pcmcia-cs ebuild,
5 > but due to reasons i cannot remember, you cant have just a
6 > default ebuild, but should need to provide source as well
7 > if needed.
8 >
9 > Danarmak and me talked about this some while back, but neither
10 > of us got to it as of yet.
11 >
12 > A nice option whould be to split ebuild of this kind into 3:
13 >
14 > modules
15 > source
16 > userland-tools
17 > (maybe libs as well .. like lm_sensors ??)
18 >
19 > Only problem i for see with this, is that there is no real
20 > place for ebuild of this kind.
21 >
22 > Also other drivers (nvidia, any other addon (the glide modules?) have no
23 > real place in the portage tree.
24 >
25 > Now, what I suggests is that we move things around a bit, and
26 > create some new portage catagories:
27 >
28 > kernel-headers
29 > linux-headers
30 > pcmcia-cs-headers
31 > lm_sensors-headers (if needed)
32 > alsa-headers
33 >
34 > kernel-modules (also any binaries .. like the kernel)
35 > linux
36 > pcmcia-cs-modules
37 > lm_sensors-modules
38 > i2c-modules
39 > nvidia-modules
40 > alsa-modules
41 > ...
42 >
43 > kernel-source
44 > linux-sources
45 > linux-sources-vanilla
46 > pcmcia-cs-sources
47 > lm_sensors-sources
48 > i2c-sources
49 > alsa-sources
52 We can maybe have some other requested patches in kernel-source as well,
53 like a ebuild to patch with LIDS,
54 etc.
55
56 > kernel-tools
57 > ksymoops
58 > pcmcia-cs-tools
59 > lm_sensors-tools
60 > alsa-utils/tools
61 >
62 > kernel-libs (??)
63 > lm_sensors-libs
64 > alsa-libs
65 >
66 > And so on.
67 >
68 > Another plus of doing it this way (except the lots of work
69 > ;p), is that things will be easier to find for new users.
70 >
71 > The kernel-source stuff can tipically install into
72 > /usr/src/kernel-extra or some other default location
73 >
74 > I have already commited myself to doing i2c and lm_sensors,
75 > danarmak said he will do pcmcia-cs, and the rest should not
76 > be a biggy.
77 >
78 > Anyway, this is still a very _alph_ idea ;) So let me know
79 > what you think!
84 Greetings,
87 Martin Schlemmer
88 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
89 Cape Town, South Africa