From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: logrotate
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:55:54
1 On Friday 29 April 2005 22:25, Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > The problem with ebuild config, at least until bug 11359 is handled,
3 > is if the package is emerged early on in a list of packages, there is
4 > a chance the person won't know to use ebuild config.... would it be
5 > possible for portage to run an ebuild config for _all_ packages that
6 > need it after _all_ packages that are being emerged are emerged? This
7 > way the upgrade goes without interference, but the customization waits
8 > until the person comes back, either that or an emerge config that
9 > tracks all packages that need config that have yet to be configged,
10 > currently, hoping a person thinks to ebuild packagename config is a
11 > lot to ask, unless every package takes use of it...
12
13 That's a long paragraph. ;)
14
15 I don't see the problem with users not seeing a "run config" message. On the
16 contrary, I think it would be better if a message wasn't needed at all.
17 Instead, if a user didn't know how to configure a package or didn't want to
18 do it manually, they would just give it a go with the package that they're
19 interested in.
20
21 The only thing I think is necessary to improve for this to work is the method
22 in which a package's config method is invoked. Doing it via emerge would be
23 much more intuitive. Something like "emerge --config dev-db/mysql"? Use
24 standard atom matching within the installed package database and use the
25 standard "please be specific" message when more than one package matches.
26
27 Regards,
28 Jason Stubbs