From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Notes on Mozilla
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:20:47
1 Hi
2
3 I have been doing most of the Mozilla changes updates for
4 the last while (with help from Hallski). This means that
5 I have compile mozilla too many times for one person ;-)
6
7 To get to the point, I have tested Mozilla with the GTK+,
8 QT and XLIB toolkits. GTK+ is stable as a rock, where
9 QT is pretty flaky, and XLIB seems to be still in heavy
10 development (could be wrong). Now, to determine which should
11 be used, can get tricky.
12
13 Thus, with gtk+ not a heavy depend, I released mozilla-0.9.6-r4, which
14 only support gtk+. This should
15 creat a stable build that is easier to support (wont need
16 to rebuild it many times to test for all the toolkits
17 (2 hours + here .. ). It will also ensure that the user
18 will not get mozilla with QT or even XLIB and have it crash
19 all the time, or not even start.
20
21 If anybody have objections to this, consider having a stable
22 build for all with yourself uncommenting a few lines, or other
23 people having lots of problems. If needed, I will revert the
24 changes.
25
26 Then on a side note: During testing, etc, I noted a few things:
27
28 1) Even though it should be ok to not unmerge the old
29 version of a app, I got best results when i FIRST
30 unmerged the old version of mozilla; cleaned out
31 /usr/lib/mozilla, and THEN merged the new version.
32
33 2) Mozilla is a big beast, and this very sensitive for
34 compile flags (CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS). One that really cause
35 problems, is -fomit-frame-pointer, I took care of in the
36 ebuild. But, as there is so many combinations, if you
37 have problems, try the default CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS for the
38 build (-march=... -O3 -pipe).
39
40 Anyhow, feedback will be appreciated, and enjoy the new
41 NSS/SSL support in mozilla/evolution :) (NOTE: mozilla
42 should be build with 'ssl' in USE ... )
45 Greetings,
49 Martin Schlemmer
50 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
51 Cape Town, South Africa