From: IAN DELANEY <della5@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] A news item covering PYTHON_TARGETS
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:11:54
1 On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:45:01 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > Since some ebuilds are using that variable already and we still didn't
7 > inform most of our users if and how they should set it, I'd like to
8 > commit the following news item:
9 >
10 > Title: PYTHON_TARGETS deployment
11 > Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
12 > Content-Type: text/plain
13 > Posted: 2012-10-29
14 > Revision: 1
15 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
16 >
17 > Lately, a new Python eclasses were deployed and the way of supporting
18 > multiple Python implementations changes with ebuilds being migrated
19 > to them. While before the implementations being installed were used
20 > by default, the migrated packages will instead use explicit choice
21 > based on PYTHON_TARGETS USE flags. This may require action from some
22 > of our users.
23 >
24 > If you are running a modern system with Python 2.7 & 3.2, and you
25 > didn't set USE_PYTHON, then you don't have to do anything. The
26 > defaults will fit you.
27 >
28 > Otherwise, you will want to set PYTHON_TARGETS in your make.conf file.
29 > This is a regular USE_EXPAND variable listing requested Python
30 > implementations like:
31 >
32 > PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 pypy1_9 jython2_5"
33 >
34 > The variable should list all requested Python implementations.
35 > A complete list of possible values can be obtained using a command
36 > like:
37 >
38 > emerge -1pv dev-python/python-exec
41 this might be slghtly be reudundant, but how about
42
43 set PYTHON_TARGETS in place of PYTHON_ABIS or USE_PYTHON
44 in /etc/make.conf.
45
46 Technically it's not essential.
47
48 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 pypy1_9 jython2_5"
49
50 is just right, a clear example of each.
51
52 "While before the implementations"
53
54 right and doesn't read quite right, either just delete before or
55
56 "While the implementations being installed were used by default by"
57 python.eclass"
58
59 deleting the word before. I think a simple comma might make the original
60 valid;
61
62 "While before, the implementations being installed were used by
63 default...."
66 kind regards
67
68 Ian Delaney