From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] have portage be quiet by default
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:06:11
1 On 12 November 2011 15:40, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 12 November 2011 17:24:08 Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> On 11/11/11 16:44, Zac Medico wrote:
4 >> >> good point.  we don't want to punish old portage users.  let's enable it
5 >> >> by default in portage itself then.  just add `elog` output to the
6 >> >> portage ebuild to inform users of the change ?  or do we want a news
7 >> >> item ?
8 >> >>
9 >> >> what's the flag to negate the default ?  --no-quiet-build ? ;)
10 >> >
11 >> > It's --quiet-build=n. I've gone ahead and enabled it for release in
12 >> > portage-2.1.10.34:
13 >> >
14 >> > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=0cc1
15 >> > 74b6fc28feb26ea151d76f794e0ff2c2fa39
16 >>
17 >> Lots of people in #gentoo are unhappy with it.
18 >
19 > most changes people will be unhappy with because it's different
20
21 I'm a bit surprised by the negative comments. I was pleasantly
22 surprised this morning when I discovered the clean output now
23 generated by default by Portage.
24
25 After all, most of the time the build logs are "useless". By that I
26 mean that one only looks at them when the build fails. So not seeing
27 them by default seems the right thing to do. This may not always be
28 true (especially for devs) but changing the default is very simple in
29 those special cases.
30
31 By the way, is there a noticeable difference in build time (for
32 relatively large builds) when logging to the console is off? Not
33 important, just curious.
34
35 >> Most devs will be unhappy as it makes it harder to view the log while
36 >> building.
37 >
38 > devs are not the normal case.  it's trivial to have them use --quiet-build=n
39 > in their default emerge opts.
40 > -mike