From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: seemant@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds, Teams and Projects
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:22:08
1 OK; just to clarify my understanding, and perhaps for anyone else
2 watching who saw things as muddled as I did:
3
4 1) A herd is a group of packages, no more, no less. A package must be a
5 member of at least one herd (since the herd entry is mandatory in
6 metadata.xml, and metadata.xml is mandatory).
7
8 2) A package can belong to more than one herd.
9
10 3) A herd does not have an email address - it's not a person or group
11 of people so an email address is nonsensical.
12
13 4) In the first instance, a package is maintained by those listed by
14 maintainer entries in the package's metadata.xml
15
16 5) In the second instance, a package is maintained by the people
17 indicated by the package's herd entry or entries
18 at /gentoo/misc/herds.xml
19
20 6) The herd entry may specify directly a list of maintainers with
21 optional roles, or may refer to projects or other herds to locate
22 maintainers.
23
24 Another way of looking at it; herds are a mechanism for locating
25 maintainers for packages.
26
27 Seems simple enough when written out like that - flame me if I have
28 it wrong :)
31 Kevin F. Quinn