From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 18:09:41
1 On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 15:46:23 +0100
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > But, I guess there are two major cases:
5 > > - Versions that cannot be stabilized due they not working on that
6 > > arch any longer
7 >
8 > It's probably a good idea to package.mask the affected versions on the
9 > arch profile(s) (with references to bug reports, and so on) so all
10 > users of that profile get to see it. Treat it like a "last rites"
11 > process. Currently that's the only way for users to find out when and
12 > why a package becomes unsupported on a given profile, and it should
13 > work well enough. Give them thirty days to respond or become arch team
14 > members or ATs or just give the nod to an arch developer to say "it
15 > works" - it may even lead to actual stabilisation of a newer ebuild.
16 >
17 > > - Versions that are not stabilized because arch team doesn't have
18 > > the man power to do that.
19 >
20 > As above, package.mask would be a good intermediate solution,
21 > communicating the problem to the arch users for, say, thirty days. Of
22 > course it may just delay solving the problem when a new set of
23 > stabilisations is due and again no one responds.
24
25 +1, see an example that I wrote earlier at the bottom of this mail:
26
27 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/90083/match=Consider%20this%20instead
30 With kind regards,
31
32 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
33 Gentoo Developer
34
35 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
36 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
37 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D