From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] implementation details for GLEP 41
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:40:40
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:06:15PM +0000 or thereabouts, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > For instance, the way GLEP 41 suggests doing r/o cvs is not going to work.
3
4 So, in the interests of trying to find a solution to this particular
5 problem...
6
7 As I understand the GLEP, the main requirement here is to give the arch
8 testers faster access to the ebuilds in CVS. Is this accurate?
9
10 If so, is there any reason we have to use CVS? Lance and I are both
11 concerned about the extra load that another 50-100 people (extrapolating
12 from the 20 folks that amd64 says they have currently) will place on
13 cvs.g.o and I'd rather break this out onto a separate server.
14
15 One proposal being discussed is setting up a dedicated rsync server for
16 this purpose that a) syncs from CVS more frequently and b) has no ban
17 limits imposed on it. Arch testers would have some way of authenticating
18 to the box and being able to sync as frequently as they wanted to. Current
19 goal is to have all data in this new repository within 30 minutes of it
20 hitting CVS. (current average is about 1 hour)
21
22 If the requirement is for r/o CVS access to the same CVS server that the
23 pure-blooded developers use (sorry, couldn't resist) then it may require
24 upgrades to our existing server and/or purchasing a new server.
25
26 --kurt