From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 05:10:26
1 On 29 September 2012 18:20, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > On 09/29/2012 09:53 AM, Micha? Górny wrote:
6 >> Hello,
7 >>
8 >> Instead of the floating patches and p-d-ng modifications I sent
9 >> earlier, here are the two complete (so far, well, initial :P)
10 >> eclasses for review.
11 >>
12 >> They are designed as 'mostly' drop-in python-distutils-ng
13 >> replacement.
14 >>
15 > Hi,
16 >
17 > Are you saying that you are going to remove the python-distutils-ng
18 > eclass in favour of the new eclasses? I don't quite understand the
19 > reasons to be honest.
20
21 The current python.eclass is too horribly complicated, and should go
22 the way of the dodo ASAP; while on the other hand python-distutils-ng
23 is too limited (e.g. for non-distutils multiple-implementation python
24 needing packages) and oddly named.
25
26 I fully support this attempt to improve the current situation, and as
27 I understand so does most of our python team.
30 Cheers,
31
32 Ben | yngwin
33 Gentoo developer
34 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin