From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" of packages
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:57:06
1 On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 15:41, Jason Wever wrote:
2 > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:24:20 +1000
3 > Troy Dack <tad@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Not everybody is a Linux boffin and Gentoo is attracting its fair share
6 > > of Linux initiates. Having things configured so that a package works
7 > > straight away or so that the configuration doesn't shoot users in the
8 > > foot (or have the potential to cause grief for other users) is sensible.
9 >
10 > That's where a useflag could come in, for situations where devs think it
11 > may be wise to protect users from themselves. We could then highly
12 > suggest in the installation guides that they make use of it.
13
14 I don't think USE flags should be used here. One way should be good
15 enough for all. If you can't justify the changes well enough, they
16 shouldn't go in. Supporting different ebuild build 'paths' with
17 consequent different outcomes is not an option in my opinion.
18
19 USE flags should be switches to already existing ebuild options, making
20 them do 'this, that and the other thing' too is confusing and solves
21 nothing. Clarity and simplicity should be our goals. The transparency of
22 the process is what made Gentoo attractive, I see that initial goal slip
23 away more and more.
24
25 - foser
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list