From: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Auto adding packages to world was -> Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 05:49:33
1 On 12/07/17 15:36, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:19:32 +1000
3 > "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 12/07/17 15:14, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
6 >>> Is it in system?
7 >>> Is it in a set?
8 >>> Is it in world?
9 >>> If no to all, its a dep, warn!
10 >>
11 >> All this says is whether the package was explicitly installed and
12 >> recorded in world, or is a member of @system. The target package may
13 >> or may not be a dependency, may or may not have been --oneshot'd.
14 >
15 > Then when the user sees the warning they can discard knowing they
16 > merged the package with --oneshot.
17
18 I have trouble remembering what I ate for dinner last night, let alone
19 what I may or may not have merged a week, month or year ago, or what
20 options I used when merging it.
21
22 > What harm does a warning do?
23
24 Depends on the user, which can't really be avoided, but means that
25 warnings should be clear and meaningful, otherwise they become
26 background noise.
27
28 >> It may have been installed as a dependency but the requiring package
29 >> was removed,
30 >
31 > Then the person failed to run --depclean and maintain their system.
32 > Either way, did the person install the package directly?
33 >
34 > If the package was not installed by the user. Should they not be warned
35 > about removing something they did not install?
36
37 Such as:
38
39 emerge --unmerge dev-python/keyring
40 * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer, use
41 * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies before
42 * removing packages.
43
44 >> or may have been installed as an orphan but is now a
45 >> dependency.
46 >
47 > Now being a dependency the warning would be valid.
48
49 "Sometimes being accurate" is not the most noble of goals.
50
51 >> Assuming that if it's not in a set it must be a dependency is
52 >> incorrect and misleading.
53 >
54 > Again there are various ways. There cannot be that much overhead to
55 > check if a single package depends on one being removed. If you cannot
56 > use simpler methods as mentioned.
57 >
58 > Clearly people have objections to warnings about packages users did not
59 > install themselves....
62 So the idea is to duplicate the functionality of '--depclean <package>'
63 without actually checking to see if the package is a dependency, only
64 whether it is listed in a set; or to check if it's a dependency of
65 /something/ and, if so, redirect the user to the command they should be
66 using anyway?
69 Sam Jorna (wraeth)
70 GnuPG ID: D6180C26