From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] System hangup w/ X taking 100% cpu
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:11:25
1 Hi all,
2
3 On my new r12 system I've had a hangup in X11. No apparent cause. The system
4 stopped accepting any input and the screen didn't even complete a redraw. The
5 mouse went on moving as it was in h/w, but clicks were no good. Magic sysrq
6 wasn't responding either.
7
8 I logged in via ssh, and top showed X was taking 100% cpu. I tried killall X,
9 no effect. I tried kill -9 <X pid>, the remote login hung up and i couldn't
10 ssh to it again. I had to do a hard reboot.
11
12 Then I expirienced the same effect twice on an old rc5 system which underwent
13 absolutely no updates or config changes for a few months now. Only this was
14 standalone not on a net, so I couldn't login via ssh.
15
16 Both rc6 lockups were when running kmail, both rc5 lockups while running
17 ksirc.
18
19 Trying to send this message, I had another lockup on the rc6 system, hope
20 this reaches you.
21
22 I'm absolutely mystified. Ideas? Anyone seen this kind of thing before?
26 Dan Armak
27 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
28 Matan, Israel