From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large scale deployments - and portage
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:42:32
1 You could pin packages in the world file (/var/cache/edb/world).
2
3 <apache-2
4 <courier-0.42.3
5 <mysql-4.0.5
6
7 etc. etc. Then copy that file to each server, and tada, you've got a standard
8 profile type thing.
9
10 --Brian Jackson
14 On Sunday 17 August 2003 05:09 pm, Ron O'Hara wrote:
15 > Hi,
16 >
17 > I may have missed something in all the docs, but as far as I can see
18 > there is what should be a fairly simple enhancement to portage that
19 > would help considerably in making Gentoo more practical in larger
20 > deployments.
21 >
22 > I came to gentoo to get the advantages of being able to tailor my
23 > system(s) and still have a simple, consistent upgrade path for all the
24 > component software - portage is great for that. From the developer and
25 > tinkerer point of view it is hard to see improvements in the overall
26 > strategy behind portage.
27 >
28 > BUT - for larger deployments, there are extra needs which are not
29 > currently handled by portage - but should be a snap to implement.
30 >
31 > In large deployments, it is critical to maintain strong change control
32 > and have predictable environments that you can validate application
33 > performance in. Many places use a strategy like: "All production
34 > servers are RedHat 7.1 (or Solaris 2.7, or Windows 2000 +SP5 ... etc)"
35 >
36 > At present I cant see a way to easily do that with gentoo. Eg. Gentoo
37 > 1.4 final is really just a starting point - the minute you do an 'emerge
38 > sync', you have an unknown mix of software. And worse, if you do it an
39 > hour later on a different machine, it could be a slight different mix
40 > again - different from the first box.
41 > It is relatively easy to compare the portage trees and work out what the
42 > differences are, but thats not much help
43 >
44 > If it were possible to 'tag' the portage tree with labels at regular
45 > intervals, and and do an 'emerge sync' with a nominated 'tag' - then you
46 > would have the equivelant of the fixed points that other distributions
47 > have when they cut a release CD.
52 > As an example scenario for someone building deployment images in a huge
53 > telco.
54 >
55 > After some experimentation, they decide that their basic gentoo system
56 > will be 'gentoo with rsync tag gentoo-1.4-Aug-2003'
57 >
58 > They take the first box and do a standard gentoo install, but at the
59 > 'emerge sync' point in the instructions, they do 'emerge sync
60 > tag=gentoo-1.4-Aug-2003'.
61 > They then complete all the package installations and tweaking that they
62 > want - site specific choices.
65 > This is a repeatable process!! - critical for duplicating an environment.
66 >
67 > As each of the systems is deployed - they are in a known state. Even
68 > nicer is that deployed systems can be easily upgraded to some other
69 > 'known environment' by doing an 'emerge sync tag=xxxx' to some later tag.
70 >
71 > For 'hotfixes', deployed boxes probably need the normal 'emerge sync'
72 > which will give them acvcess to the latest and greatest bug fix - but
73 > you would probably not do an 'emerge -u world' on these boxes unless
74 > moving it from one 'tag level' to another.
75 >
76 > Now the only question is - did I miss something and this already exists?
77 >
78 > Regards
79 > Ron O'Hara
88 > .