From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for a generic solution to non-USE-conditional circular deps
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:06:11
1 James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > > As that USE flag should only be used for being able to install the
4 > > package the first time, maybe it should be treated in a "special"
5 > > way. I mean, it shouldn't be easily changed by users but, instead,
6 > > switched "internally" by the package manager to allow to unbreak the
7 > > cycle.
8 >
9 > If it only needs to be applied the first time, should there even be a
10 > flag at all? Maybe it could be more transparent than that?
11
12 Yes, I think that's the right approach.
13
14 This is a (complicated) matter between the package manager and
15 ebuilds, not between users and ebuilds.
16
17 Yes, a model is needed for ebuild->pkgmgr information transfer, but
18 that doesn't neccessarily have to be a USE flag. Maybe it's simplest
19 to make it a USE flag, then go for it, but maybe something else is
20 even simpler?
23 //Peter