From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sed "" file| cat > file
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:41:11
1 On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 09:09, Chris Houser wrote:
2
3 > dosed is currently written to only work on files in ${D}, and the sed
4 > script defaults to deleting all occurances of ${D} in the named files.
5 > This makes it ideal for "fixing" paths in text files during the ebuild
6 > 'install' phase, but useless for patching sources during the 'unpack'
7 > phase.
8 >
9 > Not that you would know this from reading the dosed internal
10 > documentation, since there isn't any. :-/
11 >
12 > Anyway, perhaps someone should update dosed or writing something similar
13 > for use during 'unpack'. Until then, what I generally do is:
14 >
15 > t=Makefile
16 > cp $t $t.orig
17 > sed 's/foo/bar/' $t.orig > $t
18
19 Dosed is an achim addition, and not to harp on it but the name always
20 confused me since I was hoping to have a "generic" dosed command for
21 uses as you described above. Ideally, I'd like to add one in the
22 future, and then rename dosed so it has a better and more
23 self-documenting name. Maybe something like "pathstrip".
24
25 Best Regards,
28 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
29 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org