From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] make install suggestion/question
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:30:43
1 Aaron Blew <ablew@×××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I have question/suggestion. Is it really necessary to put mozilla,
4 > gnome and others in /opt? I know it keeps it a bit more organzed and
5 > such, but it really makes it a pain when compiling things. Some
6 > programs, despite what they're told to use via the configure script
7 > insist on using includes from /usr/include instead of
8 > /opt/gnome/include. If not changing it, at least provide sympolic
9 > links or something (ie ln -s /usr/gnome/include/* /usr/include/ ). I
10 > think it would solve quite a few problems.
11
12 Hi!
13
14 I think it is wonderful to have a distribution that finally *does* put
15 things this way. I think it is better to fix those programs that
16 doesn't compile when GNOME (or KDE, mozilla) is located in other
17 locations than /usr since they are broken. They should be using
18 'gnome-config' in there Makefile (if they don't use auto*).
19
20 gnome-config --cflags libgnomeui for includes
21 gnome-config --libs libgnomeui for libs
22
23 If the configure-script is broken you can try to execute it with:
24
25 CFLAGS="-I/opt/gnome/include" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/gnome/lib" ./configure
26
27 Regards,
28 Mikael Hallendal