From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] How do we handle stabilisations of not-exactly-maintained packages
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:52:08
1 Rich Freeman posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:10:27 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Plus at least with firefox the old versions don't suddenly stop
4 > working/etc, assuming they still get upstream security notices.
5
6 That's the thing. AFAIK, they don't. FF4 is still getting them I
7 believe, due to longer term commitments made there, but from FF5 onward,
8 no. The upstream policy is that with rare urgent (0-day) exceptions like
9 the recent bump for SSL certs invalidation that necessitate a mid-cycle
10 bump, updates will be to the next major version. Thus, once a new major
11 version is out, previous versions are already considered vulnerable by
12 definition and no further notices are given.
13
14 In fact, there has even been discussion of removing the numeric version
15 info from the about box, etc. It would say something like either "You
16 are running the latest version" or "Updates are available and you are
17 urged to upgrade", that's it. However, from the coverage I've read, the
18 current release manager, at least, decided that numeric version info
19 would remain available. (Partly, that was due to already getting push-
20 back on the 6-week-cycle and given that, someone having at least enough
21 sanity not to push it all the way to binary current/not-current.)
22
23 So yes, either current stable policy will need to change, or Gentoo might
24 as well give up on a stable firefox. It's as if they're deliberately
25 forcing the issue, strongly encouraging distros and their users to simply
26 give up on distro versions entirely, and go direct-upstream-sourced pre-
27 compiled binaries. I guess that's one way to solve the bundled library
28 and patches vs. trademarks issues! =:^( (Of course, firefox is more or
29 less being pushed into it since chrome with its extremely similar
30 policies, is eating their lunch ATM, thus all these chrome-clone policy
31 changes. Unfortunately, most of the world is still proprietary, and
32 that's SOP in the proprietary world.)
33
34 ... And I don't have a clue when the scheduled cutoff is, but ff4 won't
35 be supported forever.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman