From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Antwort: Re: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL [Virus checked]
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:53:31
1 On Saturday 20 March 2004 00:18, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > Could you elaborate on that?
3
4 One of Gentoo's strengths is that most packages are installed *without* any
5 sort of customisation at all. If you were to download the tarball, compile
6 and install it yourself, what you'd end up with would the same or almost the
7 same.
8
9 This approach also has the advantage that packaging new versions of packages
10 is a very straight-forward piece of work.
11
12 Now, if you want to change every package's existing configuration file with
13 any new approach, where is this change going to be made? Some packages may
14 adopt it upstream, but not every package will. So, eventually it'll come
15 down to Gentoo to add this support when they package up a new version. I
16 just don't see Gentoo being able to patch each and every tool that has its
17 own configuration file.
18
19 That way seems to be quite a change in direction for what Gentoo actually is.
20 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml is very clear. Gentoo is a *meta*
21 distribution (their emphasis).
22
23 It's also worth pointing out that AIX has been doing this for years. Having a
24 GUI is great, but sooner or later you need to do something that the GUI isn't
25 flexible enough to do.
26
27 Another way would be to leave the packages alone, and instead have a tool that
28 is programmed to write out the config files that each package wants / needs.
29 Sounds like Linuxconf, doesn't it? Need I say anything more?
30
31 > My suggestion was not to replace text-based
32 > configuration, just unify the formating of them...
33 > I also believe that this is a perfect application for XML. It is still
34 > text-based though.
35
36 If you're going to create a tool that generates each package's normal config
37 file from an XML-driven system, I'd be willing to bet that you can't find an
38 XML structure that allows you to do this for all cases. And the closer you
39 get to one, the more complicated it becomes.
40
41 It also sounds like you're pushing a technology that is looking for a
42 problem ...
43
44 > Developers create a Schema that a configuration file must validate
45 > against.
46
47 Which developers? Gentoo developers, or the upstream developers?
48
49 > > Now for this to be usable, a Schema (or DTD) is developed that
50 > their Schema must validate against. This uber Schema is formulated in a
51 > way such that a configuration editor, adhering to the standard, can edit
52 > any applications configuration in a secure and user friendly way without
53 > "plugins" or modification.
54
55 What value would this configuration editor actually add? It's going to have
56 to know quite a lot about the permittable combination of options, and their
57 side effects, to add much more value than using an existing "configuration
58 editor" such as vi, emacs, KWrite, and so on.
59
60 Sounds like you'd just end up having to duplicate each packages' existing
61 configuration file validation logic into the tool via the XML. Duplication
62 can work if you're in competition - but when you've got two people or groups
63 doing exactly the same thing, usually one group ends up giving up.
64
65 > In a way the Schema from the app is a generalized plugin that kind of
66 > "implements" the configuration superclass... (for you OOProgrammers =)
67 >
68 > -John
69
70 I'm not convinced that this effort will be successful, or that it adds
71 sufficient value to be worth trying.
72
73 Just a personal opinion,
74 Stu
75 --
76 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
77 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
78 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
79
80 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
81 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
85 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list