From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stop useless removals
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 20:42:26
1 On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM, James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >>>>>> "AW" == Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > AW> If folks do not want to maintain it anymore, then it will be removed.
5 >
6 > That is about as harmful an attitude as possible.
7 >
8 > If you don't personally care about a package just leave it alone!
9
10 The point of treecleaners is to clean stuff that is broken. They
11 shouldn't be removing packages that do not work. That being said, if
12 it doesn't work and no one is willing to maintain it, it doesn't
13 belong in the tree.
16 > And if you want more maintainers, then drop the schoolkid nonsense to
17 > join the club.
18
19 If this is some opaque comment about how it should easier to
20 contribute to Gentoo (including being a proxy maintainer) then I
21 couldn't agree more. That being said after looking at what it takes to
22 become a debian developer or ubuntu developer...I don't think our
23 process is any more onerous than those.
26 > -JimC
27 > --
28 > James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6
29 >