From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-www/apache testing request (marking stable anytime soon)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:43:12
1 On Sunday 10 April 2005 4:55 pm, Brian Jackson wrote:
2 > How about not breaking apache?
3
4 We did not break apache, we broke *binary compatibility* within apache.
5 Are you aware of *why* we decided to break binary compatibility?
6 Well, if not, I can say we did so to provide LFS to the end-users.
7 You might not need it, but for sure, others will be very happy about. So,
8 please before just asking this, also consider the benifits from it.
9
10 Of course, we did not wanna push nearly-everyones little blindly executed
11 `emerge -uvD world` into hell. But everyone makes mistakes, so including me.
12 sorry for that, though, we got almost every complain fixed already. That's
13 why we're requesting for testing, for being sure, going stable won't shoot
14 anyone into his foot again.
15
16 Finally, the eclass updates have been a BIG must to simplify maintaince in a
17 long term. So, we could of course have introduced just yet another eclass
18 resisting parallel to the old one - just to have worked around this breakage
19 as well. Yeah, we learn all the time :)
20
21 > I was a little beyond pissed when I had
22 > to sit there for 2 hours trying to figure out why my apache was broken,
23 > and who was going to get put on my list of being kicked in the junk.
24 > Just for some stupid config file changes.
25
26 does it work now? when did you upgrade? what problems did you run in? please
27 feedback us. That's what we was calling for ;-)
28
29 > I find it very hard to believe
30 > you guys couldn't come up with a better way to do it. Even if that means
31 > doing evil stuff in one of the stages that isn't sandboxed.
32
33 We thought about doing so but decided against. At least my reason was, because
34 this would be a bloody hell and a no-go in a garrantied clean config merge.
35
36 I advice everyone to configure their new apache files (httpd.conf for
37 commonapache/apache.conf) from scratch.
38
39 Regards,
40 Christian Parpart.
43 the following rfc contains how to quote on lists like this:
44 Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
45 17:57:59 up 18 days, 7:04, 0 users, load average: 0.28, 0.31, 0.35