From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 01:43:01
1 On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:51:17 -0500 Ben Kohler wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
5 > profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is already
6 > enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few packages
7 > used on non-desktop linux systems.
8 >
9 > This flag provides useful functionality that most linux users will want.
10 > I'm a bit surprised that we still don't have it in all linux profiles,
11 > but I think we've worked around this in the past by adding IUSE=+udev to
12 > quite a few of those packages (33 packages, 116 ebuilds, by my count).
13 >
14 > This missing flag came to my attention again on bug 661584 where lvm2
15 > has IUSE=+udev but cryptsetup has only IUSE=udev, so non-desktop users
16 > have a bit of a mismatch between the 2 and get ugly errors on cryptsetup.
17 >
18 > Since this flag only affects linux, I think it makes more sense to set
19 > it in linux profiles than to use IUSE defaults.
20 >
21 > Any objections to this idea?
22
23 I have server setups with udev disabled for most packages. So udev
24 enabled by default will create maintenance problems. While I'm
25 perfectly fine with udev enabled by default on desktops, it should
26 not be forced on minimalistic setups like servers or containers.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Andrew Savchenko