From: "John H. McCoy" <csc_jhm@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Release 1.0 workaround for PCChips 841LMR motherboard
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 00:05:18
1 Sorry to resort to this, but bugzilla buffalo's me.
2
3 The release 1 CD is incompatable with the PCChips 841 LMR motherboard.
4 Actually the problem is with all 2.4 kernels after 2.4.10. The install
5 fails during PCI setup with the message "PCI: System does not support
6 PCI". The relevant code from pci-pc.c in the 2.4.18 kernel is
7
8 1184 if ((pci_probe & (PCI_PROBE_CONF1 | PCI_PROBE_CONF2))
9 1185 && (pci_root_ops = pci_check_direct())) {
10
11 pci_check_direct returns a nul when no direct access method is detected
12 and the side effect of making the check is to wipe out the pointer to
13 the bios access method functions previously assigned to pci_root_ops.
14
15 A work around for kernels 2.4.10 - 2.4.18 is to use the kernel boot
16 parameter pci=bios. For the 2.4.19 kernel using this parameter causes a
17 failure and hex dump in pci_init_sis5513 start (the sis5513 is the ide
18 controller) earlier in the boot process.
19
20 Since scanpci -1 works correctly there appears to be a problem with the
21 conf1 detection in pci-pc.c. A further comment about that below.
22
23 On both the rc and the 1.0 CDs the init.d/pnp script terminates with the
24 error:
25 lspci: -f: Invalid function number.
26 and doesn't load the modules. The particular script command that fails
27 is lspci -s 00:02.7. I downloaded/installed pciutils-2.1.10 and it runs
28 that command correctly so the script is not the problem. Apparently
29 only an update of the utilities is needed.
30
31 Since the pci=bios parameter causes a problem with setting up the
32 sis5513 when using the 2.4.19 kernel, I am trying to determine why
33 pci_pc.c doesn't detect the conf1 direct method while scanpci has no
34 trouble using it. I don't have the answer yet but have found that
35 scanpci appears to find all the pci devices using either the bios or
36 direct conf1 method whereas lspci only finds the function 0 devices for
37 each slot using the direct method. Thus, if code from lspci has found
38 it's way into the kernel ( lspci and pci_pc.c appear to have the same
39 maintainer) this could be source of the problem. I'll just have to
40 stick with the 2.4.18 kernel for now.
41
42 I may be the only person attempting to run linux on a 841LMR motherboard
43 and thus the only person to have these problems. But, I thought the
44 info might be useful to you.
45
46 -- john